Register Book Hotel Platform, Rules, & Priorities Schedule State Convention Training Committees & Caucuses Events Scooter Rental Media Inquiries Transportation Volunteer Exhibit Booth & Sponsorships Program Advertisements Questions
Welcome to San Antonio!! Please see www.texasgop.org/delegates for detailed & up-to-date information for your reference during convention!
In addition, download the official app for Convention to easily access maps, news, and more!
The 2018 Texas State Republican Convention will be held in San Antonio at the Henry B. González Convention Center, Monday June 11th — Saturday June 16th.
- Online registration is now closed, but you can still check in on-location at the Henry B. González Convention Center.
- Registration Times:
- Wednesday: 2pm – 8p
- Thursday: 7a – 7p
- Friday: 7a – 6p
- Saturday: 8a – convention end
- Registration Times:
- To receive your credentials you will present your confirmation email with the unique barcode, along with a Photo ID at the registration area in the exhibit hall at the convention center. You will be given your credentials, a program, and a souvenir convention bag.
- No paper tickets are issued; the bar code on your credentials will serve as your ticket to the event(s).
From 2016 convention:
Documents in process for 2018 convention:
Platform Google Doc – (check back later for working doc to be used during committee process)
Rules Google Doc – (check back later for working doc to be used during committee process)
Priorities Google Doc – (check back later for working doc to be used during committee process)
- Delegate allocation by Senate District & County
- Check back soon for more information and registration for FREE training sessions.
Participating in a convention can be overwhelming at first, but if you know what to expect, you can successfully promote your resolutions for the platform, rules, or legislative priorities and champion your candidates for party leadership. Here are some helpful resources:
- Delegate One-Pager — this one-page PDF download gives an overview of conventions
- iDelegate Packet — this easy-to-follow handout offers in-depth information on how to be an effective delegate.
- Convention Training Videos — these video trainings by Operations Director Rachel Malone walk you through the convention process so you can feel comfortable and confident as a delegate
- Precinct Convention Training Video
- County/SD Convention Training Video
- State Convention Training Video
Senatorial District (SD) Caucus
Twice during the convention, delegates will meet together with all the other delegates from their same State Senate district to hold a Senatorial District Caucus. These SD caucuses are scheduled for 11:30am on Thursday and 8am on Friday.
The first SD caucus will be called to order by that SD’s Temporary Caucus Chair. These Chairs were appointed by Chairman Dickey upon the recommendation of one or both of that district’s SREC members. After the meeting is called to order, the delegates will elect a Permanent Caucus Chair to conduct the rest of the caucus business.
Please CLICK HERE to see Temporary Caucus Chairs and their contact information.
On Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, Temporary Convention Committees will meet in San Antonio. Each of these committees includes 32 people: a chairman appointed by State Chairman James Dickey, and one member from each of the 31 Senatorial Districts (SDs) appointed by Chairman Dickey upon the recommendation of one or both of that district’s SREC members.
CLICK HERE to see Temporary Convention Committee membership and their contact information, along with full committee descriptions and information on the committee chairs.
All delegates and alternates have a right to watch these committee meetings, testify, and record. We encourage you to give your input to the committee members both before the meetings and during so they know how best to represent you, the grassroots.
Monday, June 11 11am Rules, Platform & Resolutions, Legislative Priorities
Tuesday, June 12 8am Rules, Platform & Resolutions, Legislative Priorities
Wednesday, June 13 8am Rules, Platform & Resolutions, Legislative Priorities
11am Credentials, Organization
After the convention comes to order, the delegates are able to elect committee members to the permanent committees. Each of these committees includes 32 people: a chairman and one member from each of the 31 Senatorial Districts (SDs). The committee chairman is appointed by the Permanent Convention Chairman who will be elected by the body Thursday morning, June 14, during the 10:00 am General Meeting. The members will be elected by their respective SD’s on Thursday, June 14, during the 11:30 am Caucus.
Permanent committees are currently scheduled to meet on Thursday, June 14, beginning at 4pm. Exception: the State Nominations Committee will meet after the Second SD Caucus on Friday morning, June 15.
The responsibilities of each Permanent Committee are listed in RPT Rule 34:
Credentials: This committee shall continue to add registered delegates and alternates to the permanent roll throughout the convention.
Rules and Order of Business: This committee shall recommend to the Convention the Supplementary Rules of the Convention, any amendments to these General Rules, and the Order of Business.
Legislative Priorities: This committee shall recommend to the Convention proposed legislative priorities and related resolutions.
Platform and Resolutions: This committee shall recommend to the Convention the platform and resolutions.
State Nominations: This committee shall report to the Convention nominations for the state positions to be filled by the Convention. [Note: This committee votes on nominees for State Chair and Vice Chair, and members are bound to vote for their SD’s selection on the first round of voting. See Rule 41 for specifics. This committee also reports on each SD’s selection for SREC member.]
- 2018 Temp Committee Appointments
- NOTE: Permanent Committee Members are elected by delegates in their respective SD or CE Caucuses.
- 2018 Temp Committee Appointments
Note: Tickets are available for purchase.
- Night In Old San Antonio (NIOSITA)
- Thursday, June 14th @ 7pm
- Join us at Convention and come to NIOSITA- Night in Old San Antonio. NIOSITA will be held in San Antonio’s historic La Villita, right in the heart of San Antonio and only steps from the Henry B Gonzalez Convention center. This special event is a very unique taste of San Antonio culture that will include live music, and all-you-can-eat authentic food and refreshments. This celebration of Texas and San Antonio culture is a family event sure to please all ages. Make certain you’re registered to attend convention, and join us at NIOSITA!
- Grassroots Club Breakfast
- Friday, June 15th @ 7am
- This breakfast on Friday is hosted only for our Grassroots Club Members, and is sponsored by Railroad Commissioner Christi Craddick. It’s our way of saying thank you for your dedication to keeping our lights on and our staff working hard for our Party’s success.
- Join the Grassroots Club before Convention (click here)
- RPT Gala Banquet
- Friday, June 15th @ 7pm
- The Republican Party of Texas Gala is the premier event of our State Convention. This year’s elegant gala will be held in the Stars at Night Ballroom in the Henry B Gonzalez Convention Center — one of the largest, newest, and most stylish settings in the country. We are going to announce our speakers soon, and I know you will want to be there!
Consistently attracting some of the country’s foremost conservative thought leaders, legislators, and entertainers, the Republican Party of Texas Gala never disappoints as the marquee event of the State Convention. It is the largest Republican Gala in the United States!
- Faith & Fellowship Gathering
- Saturday, June 16th @ 7am
- Join us the Saturday morning of Convention for faith and fellowship at the Republican Party of Texas’ State Convention Worship service.
- Congressional Luncheon
- Saturday, June 16th @ 12pm
- The State of Texas’ Congressional Delegation is the most influential in the nation. Our conservative principles have the power to influence national policy like no other state. This is your opportunity to engage in a dialogue with our Congressional delegation about national policy, their initiatives, and legislation impacting our state and nation.
- Night In Old San Antonio (NIOSITA)
- To Reserve a scooter or other mobility device please contact Tom’s Wheelchairs at (210) 223-7878 or visit them online at: http://www.tomswheelchairs.com/
- Mention that you are with the Republican Party of Texas State Convention to receive a 10% discount!
For media inquiries or press credentials, CLICK HERE.
- Exhibit Booth and Sponsorship Information:
- If you would like to reserve an exhibitor booth, CLICK HERE. If you have any questions about your booth reservation, please contact Amy Blakely at email@example.com.
- **Please note that reservation of a booth does not automatically guarantee the approval of your application. All applications are subject to review by the Officials Committee.
- The sponsorship packages are available here. If you have any questions, or would like more information about sponsorships, please contact Margaret Lauderback at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Acceptance or denial will be based on availability, completion of packet, adherence to policy, RPT By-laws, and RPT Rules or principles. Offensive, sexually oriented, racially biased, or lewd material is not permitted. In addition, no protesting or demonstrating will be allowed in the exhibit area. See our full exhibit booth policy HERE.
- Program Advertisements:
- The 2018 State Convention Program is a great advertising opportunity for you or your business. Our convention is the largest political gathering in the free world, and over 10,000 conservative Texans expected to attend — and all of them will be carrying the Convention Program. If you would like to purchase an advertisement in the Convention Program, please contact Marissa Vredeveld at email@example.com. All ads are subject to approval by the Officials Committee of the Republican Party of Texas.
You may submit your questions about convention below. We have also included commonly asked questions about convention here.
What if our household only uses one email address?
Initially the registration sight required a unique email address for every registrant. After hearing from several folks that this might be an issue for households who use only one email account we disabled this feature. Moving forward registrants may use the same email address to register multiple people.
What if I would like to buy tickets for the Gala or NIOSITA and give them to people not registering for convention OR registrants who did not buy tickets themselves?
What if someone ONLY wishes to attend the NIOSITA or the Gala but does not wish to register for convention?
When registration opened anyone wishing to buy a ticket to any RPT event had to be registered for the convention. The intention was that this year there would be no need to print multiple tickets because the badge/credential each Delegate, Alternate or Guest has will have a barcode that indicates all the tickets or purchases associated with that Delegate, Alternate or Guest. Registrants who purchase tickets will have those tickets coded onto the barcode printed on their credential/badge. Their credential/badge will be scanned at these events. The credential/badge is the ticket.
People began asking us about being able to buy tickets for the RPT Gala and/or NIOSITA for a) people who weren’t registered for convention or b) registered convention goers who did not themselves buy tickets. In response to these requests we did two things:
- There is a now a special registration option for people who would like to simply register/purchase a ticket for the gala or NIOSITA. They won’t have to register for the convention but will only be buying tickets to these events.
- People registering for the convention may purchase additional tickets for the Gala or NIOSITA. If a registrant purchases additional tickets, they will receive paper tickets when they check-in at the convention center to get their credentials.
- If a registrant purchases additional tickets, printed, physical tickets will be given to them when they check-in at the convention which they can then give to their guests
- These paper, physical tickets may be given out and people presenting these paper tickets at the Gala or NIOSITA will be allowed to attend those events
If you or any of the delegates you have been in contact with have additional questions of any kind, you can submit them below or call the party at (512) 477-9821.