Dear Texas Republicans,
Last weekend many celebrated Passover — a giving of thanks for freedom from slavery and years of bondage in Egypt. Many celebrated Easter — a special day to celebrate Christ’s resurrection and our hope for man’s salvation. I hope that you enjoyed a blessed time with your loved ones as I did with my wife and children. And I pray that we take an attitude of thanksgiving with us as a lifestyle, as RPT Chaplain Corey Tabor encouraged in his Easter message.
People & Places
I was so happy to be a guest at the Texas Conservative Coalition Research Institute’s policy lunch last week, where I visited with the guest of honor, our Senator John Cornyn. In his address, Senator Cornyn spoke of the recently-passed Congressional tax reform bill and how it helps Texans. We also heard from Lt. Governor Dan Patrick, Commissioner Christi Craddick, State Senators Lois Kolkhorst, Kelly Hancock, and Larry Taylor, and State Representatives James Frank and Ron Simmons. Special congratulations to new TCCRI president Rep. Jason Isaac!
I’ve had the opportunity to interact with many of our elected officials and their staff recently in preparation for our convention. I’m delighted to see their participation in many important ways and look forward to all of our delegates hearing from them in San Antonio this June.
Our Grassroots Club members had the opportunity to hear a private conversation with Lt. Governor Dan Patrick last night. Special thanks to him for giving his time to share his thoughts and answer our questions. I could not agree with him more that, although Texas had a very strong showing in the primary election, we are seeing the other side mobilize in ways like never before and we all need to be working now in order to ensure that Republicans have an even stronger turnout in November.
Report from the Field
Harris County Regional Field Director Mark Irey joined Ted Cruz and his team for a campaign kickoff event in Houston. To stay up to date on Senator Cruz’s reelection campaign, download the Cruz Crew app.
Data Director Spencer Davis joined Regional Field Director Rommel Lopez in the field in Uvalde County for an event along with County Chairman Jeff Santleben. Rommel also held another RLI in South Bexar County and engaged with the community of Sabinal during the Wild Hog Festival. He’s working hard to promote shared conservative values on topics such as the 2nd amendment and pro-life issues.
Our State Republican Executive Committee (SREC) will meet this weekend, and all Texas Republicans are invited to join either in person or via livestream! Join us in Austin at the Wyndham Garden Hotel, 3401 S, N Interstate Hwy 35, Austin, TX 78741. Or, tune in to the livestream on the RPT YouTube channel.
Friday, April 6 — committee meetings:
- 10-11:45am – Officials
- 11:30am-1:45pm – Convention Arrangements
- 12-1:45pm – Rules, Advancement, Election Integrity
- 2-3:45pm – Resolutions, Party Organization, Auxiliaries & Coalitions
- 3-3:45pm – Site Selection
- 4-5:45pm – Legislative Affairs, Candidate Resource Committee, New Leaders on the Rise, Grassroots Club
Friday, April 6 — evening reception:
- We’re grateful that the Texas Public Policy Foundation is hosting a reception for our members and guests. If you’re interested in joining us, RSVP here.
Saturday, April 7 — general session:
- Officer reports (treasurer, legal counsel, RNC Committeewoman, RNC Committeeman, Vice Chair, State Chair)
- Committee reports (see committee list above)
Here are a few quick updates on State Convention:
- Registration: We are still receiving and compiling lists of delegates and alternates. Within the next week or two, all delegates and alternates for whom we have valid email addresses should receive an email with a link for registration that will include an option to reserve a hotel room in our block. GRC members will receive this 48 hours in advance.
- Committees: If you’re interested in serving on a committee June 11-13 in San Antonio, contact your SREC members and ask them to recommend you. Each committee will include one member from each Senatorial District.
- Schedule: You can see the schedule of committee meetings, general sessions, SD caucuses, and special events on our state convention page.
In Case You Missed It . . .
- Texas led the nation in February job growth.
- U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz launches re-election bid at regional airport in Jefferson County.
- Beto O’Rourke says he raised staggering $6.7M in first quarter of 2018.
- Jobless claims drop to lowest level since 1973.
- More than a Day … a Lifestyle. By RPT Chaplain Corey Tabor
- We are gearing up for #RPTServes Volunteer Week, April 16-22.
Coming Up Next
- April 4: Senate hearing relating to Plank 147 (school choice ) – see info
- April 6-7: SREC meeting – see info
I hope to see many of you in Austin this weekend!
P.S. If you received this weekly update email as a forward, be sure to sign up for your own subscription right here!