Understand the Issue
“Abolish abortion by enacting legislation to stop the murder of unborn children; and to ignore and refuse to enforce any and all federal statutes, regulations, executive orders, and court rulings, which would deprive an unborn child of the right to life.”
— Republican Party of Texas legislative priority
- Since the Roe v. Wade decision, an estimated 58 million babies have been killed in abortions.
- In order to overturn Roe v Wade, the Supreme Court needs a new law that violates Roe to be passed and a challenge adjudicated.
- Completely abolish legal abortion in Texas.
- Remove the loophole in the current law that allows mothers and doctors to kill pre-born children.
- Ignore federal court rulings or other action claiming abortion is allowable.
What People Are Saying
“Each year we solemnly mark the anniversary of the Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision which removed all state limitations on abortion. Since then millions of unborn babies have unnecessarily perished and millions of men and women’s lives have been irrevocably harmed. It is for all of those affected and ended lives that we struggle and pray to end abortion.”
James Dickey, Chairman, Republican Party of Texas
“This year marks the 45th anniversary of the Supreme Court’s Roe vs. Wade decision. More than 50 million abortions have occurred in the US alone since this date in 1973. When will Americans say enough is enough? I am proud to stand with my fellow Texas Republicans firmly on the side of LIFE. The Republican Party of Texas not only affirms the value of innocent life from conception to natural death, we made the abolition of abortion a legislative priority in the state.”
Amy Clark, Vice-Chairman, Republican Party of Texas
“In this code . . . “Individual” means a human being who is alive, including an unborn child at every stage of gestation from fertilization until birth. . . . “
Texas Penal Code Section 1.07 (a) (26)
Talk to Your Community
Are you all in? Share these sample social media posts to start the conversation with your friends. Use the talking points to drive your message home when talking with friends or reporters. Send the sample Letter to the Editor to your local newspaper to spread the word.
- Today, 150 babies in Texas will be killed legally. Please help me #AbolishAbortion.
- Life is precious. Unborn babies are humans whose lives have dignity and valuematter. #AbolishAbortion
- Human life is created in the image of God and should be protected from fertilization to natural death. #AbolishAbortion
Graphics to share:
- Human life is created in the image of God and should be protected from fertilization to natural death.
- The function of government is not to grant rights but to protect unalienable, God-given rights, including the right of life.
- A person who injures or kills an unborn child should be subject to criminal and civil litigation.
- Reversing Roe v. Wade in the courts requires a new law that would allow adjudication of a challenge.
Letter to the Editor:
Here’s a sample letter to the editor that you can customize, personalize, and submit to your local newspaper. An ideal time is when this subject comes up in the news. Be sure to check and follow your paper’s guidelines for length and submission.
Life is Precious — Now Let’s Act Like It.
The leading cause of death for babies in Texas is abortion.
Murder is already illegal at every other stage of life. The unborn are not able to defend themselves, and I believe they deserve the same protections afforded to every other person.
The function of government is not to grant rights but to protect unalienable, God-given rights, including the right of life. I call upon the governing authorities in Texas to fulfill this function. A person who injures or kills an unborn child should be subject to criminal and civil litigation — just the same as anyone who violently harmed a child outside of the womb.
I also call on every member of this community to extend compassion and grace to expectant mothers. All human life is precious. Our society should honor, respect, and protect the life of each mother, father, and child — from fertilization to natural death.
Together, we can eliminate abortion as the leading cause of death for babies in our community.
Daytime phone number
Talk to Your Legislators
Make a Phone Call
It’s easy — find your state representative and senator and their contact info using the resource list on this page. Call their district office and/or their Capitol office. You’ll speak to an office staffer. Tell them you’re a constituent. Tell them what issue interests you and why. Ask what your legislator plans to do to promote the issue.
Visit the Capitol — or your local district office!
When you call, ask for an appointment with your legislator (or alternatively, their chief of staff or legislative director). Or just drop by their district or Capitol office during regular business hours — leave your card or a note with the staffer.
Testify in a Hearing
The year and a half in between legislative sessions is called the “interim” period. During this period, the House and Senate committees hold hearings to study specific issues, or “charges” that are assigned by the Speaker and Lt. Governor.
This year’s interim charges include important items such as health care reform, reducing the tax burden, school choice, Second Amendment rights, and religious freedoms. Many of the charges relate to planks or priorities from the RPT platform.
Although bills cannot be passed since we’re not within an actual legislative session, these interim hearings are the Legislature’s way of reaching out to you for your opinion on important issues. By studying these issues now, our Senators and Representatives can be prepared to pass bills in 2019 that address the specifics you’ll bring to their attention.
Most of these hearings will include a time for public testimony — that’s your chance to make your voice heard.
- Texas Legislature Online — http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/ — your resource for committee hearings, bills from current & past legislative sessions, committee membership, and more
- Who Represents Me — www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/ — enter your address and find your elected officials
- Texas Tribune Legislative Directory –– www.texastribune.org/directory/ — find phone numbers, office locations, contact info, & social media accounts for all the Texas legislators & other electeds
- Interim Hearing Tracker — www.texasgop.org/85interim/ — see all the current interim charges that relate to RPT platform planks & committee hearing information
- STAT — www.texasgop.org/stat/ — join the Strategic Texas Action Team to receive alerts when your help is needed to promote conservative policy